Spousal support is money paid by one spouse to the other after they separate or divorce for their support and maintenance following the breakdown of the relationship.
Depending on the circumstances that existed during your marriage or common-law relationship and at the time of its breakdown, you or your spouse may be entitled to spousal support. Various factors must be considered in order to determine whether a spouse is entitled to spousal support, how much support they should receive and for how long. These factors include:
• length of the relationship;
• age of both parties;
• education of both parties;
• income levels of both parties;
• net worth of both parties;
• employment history of both parties;
• financial consequences of separation; and
• whether one spouse was financially dependent on the other during the relationship.
The lawyers at Actus Law Droit will explain the law as it relates to spousal support and provide you with the options and tools necessary to achieve a resolution on this issue.